Bennett & Philp Lawyers advise and support a broad spectrum of Australian not-for-profit and charitable organisations.
At Bennett & Philp Lawyers, we recognise that member-based organisations in the third sector will have their own unique charters and purposes. We take the time to understand our not-for-profit and charity sector clients’ individual aspirations, aims and goals and position ourselves to best help our clients navigate the ever-evolving charity sector legislative and regulatory framework.
Our team of experienced lawyers provides practical advice and guidance on all of the operational aspects of running a not-for-profit or charitable organisation, including:
- Business structuring;
- Registration as not-for-profit or charitable entity;
- Australian Charities and Not-for-Profits Commission (ACNC) regulatory guidelines and compliance;
- Registered charity obligations;
- Registration and disqualification decision appeals;
- Commercial contracts and service agreements;
- Commercial terms of business;
- Declarations of suitability;
- Funding applications;
- National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) insurance guidance;
- Quality and risk advice;
- Code of conduct;
- Corporate governance;
- Directors’ duties and duties of responsible persons;
- Australian Tax Office (ATO) registrations – GST, charitable donations, deductible gift recipient endorsement, FBT;
- Annual Information Statement reporting;
- Distribution of assets and interests, and
- Transitioning from a State based association to a company limited by guarantee.
Bennett & Philp Lawyers advise a number of charitable institutions, including:
- Health and medical industry charities involved in research, education and patient support;
- Youth volunteering and pastoral care providers, and
- Advocates of lifestyle assistive technologies and innovation.
Our team has particular expertise in the new responsibilities and regulatory compliance accompanying the introduction of the NDIS and the reporting requirements of the ACNC.
Bennett & Philp Lawyers can assist your not‑for‑profit, charitable and community organisation across a range of legal requirements.